< Return to All Recipes
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch
- peanut oil (you may use canola instead) 2 tablespoons
- ginger ½ Teaspoon
- cloves of garlic 3
- low sodium soy sauce ½ cup
- hoisin sauce ¼ cup
- sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- dark brown sugar 1½ tablespoons
- scallions 4
- flank steak 1 pound
- Slice the flank steak across the grain into very thin slices (it helps to place it in the freezer for about 30 minutes).
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except the scallions and brown sugar to make a marinade.
- Combine the sliced flank steak and marinade in a large zip lock bag or a bowl that accommodates both. Allow to marinate for 1 hour and up to 4.
- Heat an IMUSA wok over medium high heat. Add one tablespoon of the peanut oil and allow it to heat until it is mildly smoking. Add the scallions and quickly stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Drain the flank steak well (DO NOT DISCARD MARINADE). Pat the flank steak dry with a paper towel.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and cook the flank steak over medium high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly caramelized (do not crowd the pan). You may have to do this in batches. Remove from heat and set aside
- Add half the marinade to the wok and bring to a boil. Allow it to boil until it is reduced slightly and thickened.
- Add the flank steak back into the wok and sprinkle with brown sugar. Continue to stir-fry for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the scallions and stir until combined. Serve over steamed jasmine rice.